‘Futuristic Safe Injection System’ provides two variants of reusable injectors, 18 variants of safely disposable drug-cartridges and a fluid-collector, each one functioning distinctly depending upon various operational situations and requirements.
Drug-Cartridge provides a ‘smart packaging technology’ to pharmaceutical industry. It consists of an inbuilt piston and a retractable needle along with a fixed dose of medicament being used as the barrel of syringe, wherein needle retracts automatically within the empty cartridge after the completion of injection procedure, which is safely disposable without any risk of needle stick injury. It replaces the need of vials, ampules etc. used for conventional packaging of injectable drugs.
Reusable injector is equipped with an efficient retraction mechanism which can be used for multiple injection procedures. Its cost goes on decreasing with each and every next injection procedure to become almost negligible in due course. The LED provided in injector regulates and keeps vigil on the entire injection procedure. It also facilitates the injection procedure by illuminating the injection site during the dark hours.
Neither of the two parts per se is syringe but constitutes an efficient, simple and user-friendly self-retractable safety syringe, when coupled together.
Fluid Collector is designed to prevent needle reuse and needle stick injury during the safe collection of the fluids when coupled with injector.
The system is fully compliant to guidelines laid down by WHO, FDA and NIO
Drug-cartridge (Variant 1) with forceps head-lock Injector
Drug-cartridge (Variant 2) with needle-head Injector
Drug-cartridge (Variant 3) with forceps head-lock Injector
Fluid-Collector with forceps head-lock Injector
1. Reusability of injector and usage of drug-cartridge as syringe barrel significantly curtails the need and overall expenses incurred on packaging, storage, transport, distribution, waste collection and management etc.
2. It makes our system the cheapest substitute of conventional safe syringe system. It ultimately decreases the cost of overall injection process at least by 80- 85% making it equally affordable and accessible to all without creating any technological divide.
3. Our injection system embodies all essential features of an efficient passive retractable syringe, which completely eliminates user intervention to activate/trigger the retraction mechanism. It also prevents the risks of premature retraction or failure of retraction mechanism etc.
4. The system provides safety assurance to avoid all probabilities of needle stick injury before, during and after the injection procedure. Its design of drug-cartridge eliminates all probabilities of its reuse being far costlier than the original product.
5. The technology is ergonomic, user friendly and easy in handling/operation without any requirement of formal training to the medical practitioners, healthcare workers, users etc.
6. The invention is more effective, efficient and frequent in comparison to the conventional drug injecting systems as the time required to transfer the drug into the syringe is curtailed by reducing the number of operational steps in injection procedure, which increases the frequency of administration of injection procedure by several-folds ultimately resulting in huge saving of the precious man-hours of medical practitioners, healthcare worker, end users etc.
7. The glowing LED of indicator throughout the injection process confirms the completion of injection procedure, creates awareness of handling of patients and also facilitates administration of drug during dark hours.
8. It will ensure reduction of handling the weight and volume of syringes per dose by healthcare workers in work-field and also reduce the burden of care and caution imposed upon them as they shall be required carrying only the desired quantity of drug-cartridges bearing desired volumes of dosage and couple of pen- type injectors in the field.
9. It offers green and ecofriendly technology as it saves entire raw material, particularly plastic by 70-75% from being converted into hazardous medical waste and all the inputs including cost, labor, skill, transport, waste management etc. involved in manufacturing of syringes, thereby negating the carbon footprint of whole syringe industry to a significant extent. It will directly curtail the generation of at least 70-75% of hazardous bio-medical waste and create merely 25-30% volume of safe and non-hazardous biomedical-waste in the form of safely disposable empty drug-cartridge preventing exposure of any remnants of drug to the environment, which is the breeding ground for superbug i.e. antimicrobial resistance among microbes.
10. The system ultimately provides a versatile, sustainable and inclusive technological solution to reduce needle stick injuries as well as needle/syringe reuse to zero (the root cause of spreading of deadly diseases like HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B, C etc.); dreadful menace of counterfeit drugs and drug abuse; reduce the increasing incidence of ‘genesis of superbug’ (antimicrobial resistance); significantly reduces ever-growing hazardous medical waste and carbon footprint of healthcare sector to ultimately decrease Global Disease Burden (GDB) as well as Global Healthcare Burden (GHB) to a maximum extent to save the lives of millions.
11. The system is fully compliant to guidelines laid down by WHO, FDA and NIOSH.
Smart packaging of fixed dosages of Injectable medicines will ensure:
Direct transfer of drug from manufacturing unit to patient’s body
• Frequency of injection procedure
The smart packaging will enhance the frequency of entire injection procedure to maximum extent and save the invaluable time of medication process because the user has only to attach the fixed-dose drug-cartridge with injector to initiate the injection procedure.
• No probability of under/over-dosage
The smart packaging ensures the transfer of correct and exact dosage of drug into the patient without any user-intervention which eliminates all probabilities of under/over-dosage in administration of drug.
• Ensures ‘Single-dose single needle’
The smart packaging will ensure single dose with single needle.
• Saving of 5-15% extra ‘overfill quantity’ of drugs
The smart packaging will amounts to huge direct input savings of pharma industry compensating/negating any increase in cost due to smart packaging, consequently preventing the unnecessary wastage of precious drugs and escalating its reachability directly to the end-users.
• No contamination of drug at any stage
The smart packaging eliminates all the probabilities of contamination of medicine occurring in conventional system during the transfer of drug-contents from the drug-container to the syringe.
It also prevents all kinds of contaminations caused by the chemical interaction of long staying entrapped air bubble along with the drug contents in conventional drug-containers i.e. vials, ampoules etc. Such entrapped volume of air generally contains nitrogen, oxygen, carbon-dioxide, and other gases etc. along with air-borne pollutants / contaminants, which are bound to chemically interact with biomolecules of drug contents to deteriorate its quality as well as efficacy right from packaging to the final use.
The smart packaging of drug in drug-cartridge completely rules out all probabilities of contamination of drug contents during the entire course of journey - from the moment of packaging to patient’s body and ensures preserving its original efficacy for longer period of time.
• No wastage of drug
It prevents unnecessary wastage of precious drug in two ways:
(i) Drug content are wasted during its transfer from drug container to the syringe during injection procedure.
(ii) Generally, the drug container contains 5-10 dosage but only few dosages are utilized and the rest are discarded as waste. The smart packaging in dosages shall completely prevent any such wastage of precious drugs.
• Safe disposal of once used needle
The smart packaging ensures safe disposal of used needle encapsulated in empty drug-cartridge by making it far safer and non-hazardous medical waste, which will further prevent exposure of any remnants of drug to the environment, finally making the waste more safe, harmless and easy to manage.
• Smart packaging checks on counterfeit drugs
The packaging of drug in drug-cartridge needs automation, only affordable to big pharma industries. It will indirectly keep a strict check on the counterfeit injectable drugs costing heavily on the revenue and goodwill of the genuine pharma companies.
• Smart and aesthetic packaging adds value to the finished product
The smart packaging of injectable drugs in Drug-Cartridge provides a technologically advanced, smart, safe, ergonomic and aesthetic packaging of the drugs, which ultimately adds value to the finished product. Such an enhanced value addition of latest technology will impart enhanced commercial competitive edge as well as export prospects of the product worldwide.
An effective solution to prevent needle-stick injuries, counterfeit-drugs and hazardous medical waste
The use of this disruptive technology provides an effective solution to the pharma industry to strongly stand against the growing menace of needle-stick injuries, counterfeit-drugs and hazardous medical waste posing a serious threat to the lives of millions.
Contributions to Sustainable Development Goals
The technology provides pharma industry an exceptional opportunity to finally make their most significant contribution towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by making healthcare system greener, safer, affordable and accessible to all. It will effectively reduce NSI almost to zero, which is a root cause and chief source of all major dreadful diseases i.e. AID/HIV, Hepatitis B & C etc., to curb such diseases & healthcare burden; democratize healthcare system, making it equally affordable and accessible to all; prevent abuse of injectable drugs; ensure fullest achievement of WHO’s initiatives to completely replace conventional syringes with safety syringes by 2020.
Greener and Safer Healthcare System to fight Climate-Change
It provides pharma industry a significant opportunity of participation in a fight against grave challenges of healthcare sector’s contribution to Climate-Change by negating carbon footprint of entire syringe industry and introducing a green, sustainable method as well as product and in excessively reducing the ever growing piles of hazardous bio-medical waste to achieve the highest goal of securing a safe, healthy and dignified ‘Right to Life’ for all.
Thus, the technology holistically offers a brilliant opportunity to pharmaceutical industry of an extremely profitable business along with discharging its pious social obligation to save the lives of millions along with golden opportunity to make fortune of dollars in billions without creating any technological divide.
1. The affordability and accessibility of system will result in huge saving on out-of-pocket expenditure of the end-user along with safety assurance among medical practitioners as well as the end-users. The end-user only needs to buy pre-fixed volume of medicine packed in the smart drug-cartridges without any requirement of separate syringe for each and every dosage.
2. The decrease in Global Disease Burden (GDB) will save the lives of millions and also promote healthier as well as productive life, thereby improving and enriching the human resource qualitatively as well as quantitatively.
3. The decrease in Global Healthcare Burden (GHB) will result in huge savings of capital resources, which may be utilized and engaged in holistic development of mankind.